Northside Speech


Here are some of our frequently asked questions (FAQ):

What’s the difference between a speech pathologist and a speech therapist?

The difference is where they live! In Australia, the university-educated health professionals who treat communication difficulties are called speech pathologists; in some other countries they are called speech therapists.

Do I need a referral to see a speech pathologist?

No, you don’t need a referral. If you have a concern about your communication or someone in your family, you can contact us to discuss your needs.

What funding is available?

  • We are a registered Medicare provider. Medicare rebates are available for a limited number of appointments per year, in some specific circumstances. There are specific criteria for accessing these rebates, which is managed by your GP.
  • We are registered with a number of private health funds. Check your private health insurance 'extras' package to see whether you are eligible for rebates on speech pathology services.
  • We are able to provide services to NDIS participants with plan-managed or self-managed funding packages. We are in the process of registering to provide services to participants with agency-managed funding.

Can you assess/treat autism?

We can assess and provide information on your child’s language and social communication skills, liaising with your paediatrician or psychologist if appropriate.

We are experienced in supporting the communication needs of children and young people with autism. We provide interventions that are tailored and specific to the needs of the individual. If you have any questions about a specific program or intervention, please contact us.

Do you assess/treat dyslexia?

We can assess a wide range of language and literacy skills, including knowledge of the English sound system and letter-sound relationships, vocabulary, and comprehension skills. We can provide information on an individual's skills compared to others their age, as well as relative strengths and weaknesses.

We are experienced in providing literacy interventions that are tailored to the needs of the individual. We follow the best practice recommendations of current research in reading science and intervention.

When should I be worried?

The short answer is that you know yourself and your family best. If you notice that something seems different or doesn't seem right, then it is worth asking whether an assessment might be recommended. We can discuss your concerns and needs with you. We will not recommend speech pathology services if we do not think there is a need.

While people can improve communication skills across the lifespan, there are critical ages or periods for treatment of some types of difficulties. There can also be risks around delaying treatment in some situations. Contact us to discuss your needs and concerns.

Scroll to top